Return to Headlines
Greeting Families and Community Members,
Our District's mission is to provide every student with a safe, equitable, restorative culture and community, the opportunity to realize their full potential, access to an excellent 21st century education, and the skills and knowledge to pursue lifelong learning. One of the ways that we pursue this mission is to ensure that we are allocating our resources in the best way possible so that students can learn and be successful. Each year, our District develops a plan, called our Local Control Accountability Plan or LCAP, that outlines how the bulk of our funds are used in our District. The LCAP is a three-year plan that describes the goals, actions, services, and expenditures to support positive student outcomes that address state and local priorities. There are eight state priority areas for which we, with parent and community input, must establish goals and actions:
- Providing all students access to fully credentialed teachers, instructional materials that align with state standards, and safe facilities.
- Implementation of California’s academic standards, including the Common Core State Standards in English language arts and math, Next Generation Science Standards, English language development, history social science, visual and performing arts, health education and physical education standards.
- Parent involvement and participation, so the local community is engaged in the decision-making process and the educational programs of students.
- Improving student achievement and outcomes along multiple measures, including test scores, English proficiency and college and career preparedness.
- Supporting student engagement, including whether students attend school or are chronically absent.
- Highlighting school climate and connectedness through a variety of factors, such as suspension and expulsion rates and other locally identified means.
- Ensuring all students have access to classes that prepare them for college and careers, regardless of what school they attend or where they live.
- Measuring other important student outcomes related to required areas of study, including physical education and the arts.
We are currently working on a draft of our 2019 LCAP that includes goals and actions in each of these priority areas. A requirement in the development of the LCAP is to solicit input from parents, teachers, students, local bargaining units, staff and other community members in regard to what they think which goals would be most effective for implementation in our schools toward reaching state priorities. As such, we want your input! We would like to invite members of our community to participate in the development of our LCAP. We will be holding a community meeting on Wednesday, April 24th from 6:30 to 7:30 pm to enlist your support and input in the development of our plan. All members of the community are invited and this will be held at our School District offices at 400 Parker Avenue in Rodeo.
In addition to seeking community input on our LCAP, we are establishing a Parent Advisory Council to have an ongoing forum for parents and guardians to be engaged and involved in their child's school experience. We will seek advice and input from this group in order to make changes and improvements in our schools so all members of our community have a voice and an opportunity to influence our work. If you are interested in being a part of this group, please send me an email at at email@example.com or just come to our next meeting. We have a new web page for the Parent Advisory Council which you can access by following the "District Resources Link" on our homepage (www.jsusd.org) to learn more. This group will be meeting on Thursday, April 4th at 6:30 pm at Rodeo Hills Elementary. Babysitting will be provided.
We invite all of our stakeholders to be involved in the work of continuously improving our District. I am available by cell phone at (925) 639-7408 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more about your thoughts and viewpoints. In addition, if you ever have a problem or concern, please feel free to reach out to me personally and I will respond.